Matthew G. KaiserPartner
Before starting Kaiser, LeGrand & Dillon PLLC, Matt worked at some of the best litigation firms in the country - Williams & Connolly and Zuckerman Spaeder. He also worked in the Maryland Federal Public Defender's Office and clerked for United States District Judge Catherine C. Blake.
Matt is an adjunct professor of law at Georgetown University Law Center, where he teaches professional responsibility.
Matt has written extensively on a number of topics - particularly in federal criminal law and procedure. He is the author of the Federal Criminal Appeals Blog, which was recognized by the ABA Law Journal as one of the 100 best law-related blogs in the United States for 2011, 2012, and 2013. He also has a regular column at Above the Law on white-collar criminal defense. His writing has also appeared in the Wall Street Journal, Time Magazine, The Legal Times, The National Law Journal, The Georgetown Law Journal, The American Constitution Society blog, and Above the Law. He has been quoted in the Baltimore Sun, the Washington Post, and the L.A. Times.
Matt graduated magna cum laude from the Georgetown University Law Center, where he was the Senior Articles Editor of the Georgetown Law Journal. His undergraduate degree is from the College of Wooster and he has a master's degree in philosophy from Tulane University.
Matt is active in the community. He is a member of: The Edward Bennett Williams American Inn of Court, an invitation-only professional organization devoted to white-collar criminal practice; The Fourth Circuit Judicial Conference; and the Board of Governors of the Bar Association of DC. He also serves as the Chair of a Hearing Panel for the District of Columbia Board on Professional Responsibility and serves on the D.C. Bar's Practice Management Committee. In the community, Matt has volunteered his time as the Chair of the Board of Directors of Our Place DC, an organization that helped women reenter society after a prison sentence. He has also worked in the summers with College Summit, an organization that helps high school students from low-income schools learn to apply to college.
Matt is also an instructor at the National Institute for Trial Advocacy, where he trains other attorneys on trial advocacy.
Matt has represented companies and individuals in lawsuits involving fraud, unfair trade practices, professional malpractice, and other claims. He has represented clients being investigated for fraud, bribery, criminal conflicts of interest, and ethics violations. He has helped people charged in federal court with health care fraud, securities fraud, tax offenses, export control charges, and other federal crimes.
He is licensed to practice law in Maryland, The District of Columbia, and the federal courts in Washington D.C. and Maryland. He is also licensed in the United States Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit, Fourth Circuit, Sixth Circuit, Seventh Circuit, and District of Columbia Circuit. He is a member of the bar of the Supreme Court of the United States.
- Matt Kaiser and Christopher Muha Author an Amicus Brief for the National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers
- Matt Kaiser quoted in The Washington Post regarding excused juror in McDonnell Trial
- Matt Kaiser Quoted in the Washington Post on the possible sentences in the McDonnell Corruption Trial
- Justin Dillon and Matt Kaiser Publish an Op-Ed in U-T San Diego on California's Affirmative Consent Law
- Matt Kaiser quoted in The Washington Post on the McDonnell Corruption Trial
- Matt Kaiser Provides Expert Analysis on the McDonnell Corruption Trial on WUSA9
- Matt Kaiser Analyzes Former Governor Bob McDonnell's Testimony on WUSA9
- Matt Kaiser and Justin Dillon Featured in The Torch, FIRE's Legal Newsletter
- Matt Kaiser on WUSA9 - Analysis of McDonnell Trial
- Latest Legal Analysis of McDonnell Corruption Trial by Matt Kaiser on WUSA9
- Matt Kaiser publishes "Criminal Defense Victories in the Federal Circuits"
- Matt Kaiser - Legal Analysis: McDonnells' Corruption Trial
- Matt Kaiser Discusses the Trial of Former Governor Bob McDonnell on WUSA
- Matt Kaiser Elected Secretary of the D.C. Bar's Board of Governors
- Matt Kaiser to Teach at the National Institute for Trial Advocacy
- Matt Kaiser Writes a Piece on Campus Sexual Assault for Time Magazine
- Matt Kaiser and Justin Dillon Publish an Editorial in the Wall Street Journal on President Obama's Campus Sexual Assault Task Force Report
- Matt Kaiser and Justin Dillon Publish a Letter to the Editor in the New York Times on Campus Sexual Assault
- Matt Kaiser and Rebecca LeGrand Honored By SuperLawyers
- Matt Kaiser Nominated As A Candidate For Secretary of the DC Bar
- Matt Kaiser Speaks To Chief Financial Officers about Internal Investigations
- The Baltimore Sun Publishes an Editorial by Matt Kaiser About Sentencing Reform in Federal Court
- Matt Kaiser Quoted in the Washington Post and LA Times About Eric Holder's Proposals On Prison Overpopulation
- The National Law Journal Publishes
- Matt Kaiser Appointed Chair of a Hearing Committee of the Board on Professional Responsibilty
- Matt Kaiser Sworn In as Director of the Bar Association of D.C.
- Matt Kaiser Discusses The Eric Holder Investigation on Fox 5
- Matt Kaiser Quoted In The Baltimore Sun
- The Federal Criminal Appeals Blog Selected As One of the 100 Best Law-Related Blogs In the United States By The ABA Journal
- Matt Kaiser Appointed to the D.C. Bar’s Practice Management Committee
- Matt Kaiser Voted Chair of the Board of Our Place, DC